TEP have just completed the first phase of restoration works at Old Warke Dam in partnership with Salford City Council and aquatic contractors, Land & Water.
Old Warke Dam is a manmade reservoir constructed in 1760 to provide a head of water for the Bridgewater Canal and later to power downstream flour mills. Over the years the Dam has silted up and consequently opportunities to enjoy the views, heritage and ecology of the Dam have diminished.
Old Warke Dam forms a key part of the proposals for the Bridgewater Canal Corridor which will see a minimum of £100 million invested along the canal over the next 15 years, restoring key heritage sites such as Worsley Delph and Barton Aqueduct.
TEP was first involved in 2011 and produced a landscape masterplan which was developed via a community-led Steering Group. The works completed on site to date have consisted of the removal of vegetation in preparation for the de-silting element which is programmed to begin in later this year.